Friday 2 August 2013

Day 5 - July 10, 2013 - extreme grumpiness achieved

I have finally typed up my notes from on Kilimanjaro ... I will post them as a post per day ... only because otherwise it would be a 10 page post ... which I think would be quite overwhelming!!!  Pictures will come shortly ... I promise :)  My little inserts in italics are thoughts I've put in after the fact.

Day 5 - July 10, 2013


Day 5 I woke up, after my first good night of sleep (yay for exhaustion finally kicking in), in a great mood and full of energy and super hungry.  Woohoo :)  

We hiked 4.9km to School Hut at 4722m and then got ready for what we thought was our afternoon of sleep before our midnight ascent start.   This was incorrect.   It turns out that you don’t get to have an afternoon of sleep after all.  Boo that.  In fact, EPIC BOO THAT.

Instead, we arrived at camp just before lunch.  Got set up (ps – I hate hate hate hate the set up/pack up process.  Sleeping bags suck when you are freezing cold and dirty and they have to get stuffed into their stuff bags and then fit into your bag.  Suck suck suck) for the afternoon sleep and were then informed about our 3pm acclimatization hike.  Umm, we are already at 4722m and we have to start hiking to the top at midnight … why oh why oh why must we go for an acclimatization hike at 3pm?!!?   Even better, after lunch we were informed that we had 1.5 hours to nap.  Hmph.  I hate naps.  But I did it.  I had the coldest nap of my life.  Well, actually, I just lay in my sleeping bag thinking about napping.  I suck at napping. 

Our 3pm acclimatization hike mostly just gave us a glimpse at how tricky the steep scree descent is going to be.   And we mostly all grumped about how we’d rather be asleep and how cold it was.   But we all did it.  That’s what counts on missions like this!  Do as you are told, drink water, walk slowly, get to the top.  Period.

Went to ‘bed’ at about 5pm, when all was said and done.  Very very very grumpy.  I think I slept for maybe 2-3 hours MAX before being woken up by a delightfully cheerful ‘Time to get ready, be in the mess tent in 5 minutes’ at 11:00pm.   I won’t write in here what I responded with (very very very grumpy x10) but it had something to do with 5 minutes being ridiculous ESPECIALLY since we had to stuff those stupid sleeping bags back into their stupid bags!

I’ll continue from 11pm onwards as Day 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment