Friday 3 May 2013

And The Winners Are ... The Mamut T Aenergy GTX ®


Wow, okay so this is well overdue!   I have been mighty distracted, but am going to continue the effort of making this a routine event.


After a long deliberation process, I have finally chosen and started wearing in my Kilimanjaro hiking boots.   The third time was a charm and I am now the proud new owner of some bright, albeit muddy, new blue Mamut T Aenergy GTX® (as seen in the photograph or here: http://www.mammut.ch/en/productDetail/302003830_v_5136_75/T-Aenergy-GTX%C2%AE-Women.html).


I thought I would write today's blog to put down a few of the tips and tricks I learnt during the selection process ... so ...

1) Know your booty needs


For us the decision was a day hiker.  This was based on the fact that we will have packs that are less than 50lbs (thanks to our team of porters) and do not have any ankle problems.  Waterproof is also a definite must for Kilimanjaro as we will have everything from rain forest to snow to trek through.  

2) Set aside plenty of time for the hunting process and get used to the returns process!

To select my boots required 3 attempts; each attempt costing at least a few hours in the shop.   Don't expect this to be a quick shop!  Apparently even seasoned hikers require a lot of time as models and technologies change and you are really cheating yourself if you don't try on a few different brands/models.   

Also, a great lesson learnt is to not hit up the outdoors shops expecting great (or any for that matter) service on the first nice day of spring.  This is guaranteed to result in crankiness (well, if shopping with persons of like personalities to myself).


And of course, keep those receipts!

3) A thumb's width is what you need

My first fail was buying boots that were snug.   This seemed like a great idea but upon research and the helpful advice of friends and coworkers this is a foolish plan.   Going up the mountain is one thing, but when coming down you want room for your toes so that they are not slamming into the front of the boot.   While I will not learn this lesson the hard way, apparently snug boots can equate to blackened toenails and pain.

I did, however, get a bit of an idea of this lesson this past week in San Francisco.  Even my running shoes became uncomfortable on the downhill portions of walks because I was too far into the front of them.

I feel like the downhill portion just may end up being one of our most challenging days!   At least my toes will be happy :)


4) Invest in a good quality technical sock

Invest in them and take them along for the boot shopping.   Outdoors shops (and running shops for that matter) have a wide array of cute smart wool and other technical fabrics designed to keep your feet dry and comfortable!

For Kilimanjaro we were aimed towards a mid-weight technical sock.  I can't comment on how correct this is ... but will hopefully be praising this guidance in July!


5) Take band-aids with you to the shop

For some reason, that I am not aware of, hiking boots have mean laces!!!  After doing up and undoing a few pairs you will start to get discomfort on the thumb side of your pointer fingers and thumbs.  After 6 or more pairs, bring on the blisters!  

Once this happens, once again, crankiness ensues.

6)  Regardless of style points (or lack thereof) wear them indoors a few times before heading into the great outdoors!!

I put up with friendly teasing and also received some great pointers by wearing each of the boots I tested in the office with my professional apparel.  This was a priceless plan as I eliminated 2 pairs of boots that I was completely in love with in the shop.  The best part of the office day was the stairs.  Nothing will tell you that the heel in the boot isn't right better than taking the stairs all day!   Also, in the office you can cover a lot more ground than you possibly can at home.

Plus, you get bragging rights that you are doing something cool in the near future!

No comments:

Post a Comment