Monday 13 May 2013

I'd rather be running!


Today is one of those days where I want to do just about anything other than what I am supposed to be doing (aka working).  I have had a wonderful realization though in that, even though I am somewhat uncomfortable from a trial run of the ½ marathon route yesterday, my first thought was ‘I’d rather be running’. 

Kilimanjaro is coming sooo close around the corner (including today, 51 days until we leave and 55 until climb start day), but even closer is the upcoming Ottawa Race Weekend.   

I started running with my Mum with the Merivale Running Room Learn To Run program in August 2012 and have LOVED it ever since.   We’ve completed the LTR, 5k and 10k programs together and I’m now finishing off my first ½ marathon clinic in preparation for the ½ marathon on May 26th.  

This used to seem like an insanely daunting task but now it just seems like what my training has gotten me ready for.

With this being said, I am sooo nervous.  More nervous, in fact, than I am for Kilimanjaro.  Although, I suppose that the more likely probability is that this event is currently stealing my nervous focus.   Or perhaps I figure that if I can kick tush at a ½ marathon than Kilimanjaro will be a breeze.   That sounds stupid though even as it comes off of my fingertips … probably not a good sign!

The reason why I am nervous is what amuses me though.  I know I can do the distance but I am nervous about letting myself down.  I like to set my bar very high and then get completely wrapped up in nerves about failing to meet that bar.  Isn’t that silly?!?!    Dear self, as long as I try my hardest, don’t be let down by whatever notions my hyper-competitive version of you has come up with!!!

I think I’m normal though (words that don’t often come out of this one), in this regard.

So anyway, the biggest part of my training for Kili has been my running and I think its serving many purposes: 

  • it is building up my leg strength;
  • it is building up my endurance;
  • it is building up my mental strength to push through discomfort;
  • and, currently above all, it is distracting me from the nerves that would otherwise be associated with all of the Kili final payments and details that are due this month!

It is all becoming very very real!!

2 comments:

  1. It's so very awesome that you're doing this whole Kilimanjaro and 1/2 marathon! Running is so much of a challenge for me that I admire you've completed all the various steps in the Running Room program. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Running Room are really super great at making it seem like not that huge a deal :) thank u tho :)

      Delete