Monday 6 May 2013

Webcraft Here I Come!


https://p2pu.org/Today’s post is a little bit of a different topic … but all leading towards the same goal: adventures in life before and after Kilimanjaro.

I have decided to join the School of Webcraft.  Yup, that is Webcraft and not Witchcraft … although, if anyone knows a great School of Witchcraft either online or in the Ottawa area I would probably be interested in that too!

One of my goals for the immediate future is to hone my web design skills.  I use hone in a very generous manner here as to hone would imply a certain base level of skill that I am not sure I have.   But anyway, it sounded much better than to just straight up learn!

Challenge #1 is my webizardry (no, that didn’t work … trying to be too clever too soon).  Challenge #1 in Webmaking 101 is to either create a blog or create an intro to Webmaking 101 on an existing blog.   Since I am not doing very well keeping this one as up-to-date as I should, I thought I would combine and use the fantastic skills I am going to acquire to make this blog that much more amazing.

As part of the challenge I am also supposed to introduce some interesting facts about myself for my Webmaking 101 peers.   I am/was/will be:
    https://p2pu.org/en/schools/school-of-webcraft/
  • A fan of bullet points for things like this
  • Born in England and immigrated to Canada in 1989
  • Continuously searching for what I should be when I grow up
  • Blogging on here, specifically, about an upcoming trip to climb/hike/trek of Kilimanjaro
  • Always on the hunt for new challenges
  • Sharing more facts in upcoming blogs so will leave this list here.


So, for today, this is challenge #1 on its way to completion.

Oh, for regular blog-like information, training-wise I did an 18k yesterday.  It was very hot and I should have worn sunscreen.   Now I have a brilliant farmer’s tan that will look wonderful at May’s upcoming weddings.
I also did an amazingly difficult pure core hot yoga class on Saturday.  Thanks to this, yesterday’s run and the sunshine just about every part of me is uncomfortable today.  But it is an amazingly wonderful discomfort that can only come from actually accomplishing something physical; so well worth it!   Tonight I have a wonderful pure hips hot yoga class that I am immensely looking forward to.

Happy Monday :)

20 comments:

  1. It sounds as if your table is full (not just your plate). Best wishes on your prep for the trek. Webcraft 101 will be fun for you, I hope.

    Now as to tables...Will you embrace CSS for tasks that don't actually require tables? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah i like your comment. Seems to me u are a Pro!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I used Word when I was writing that and just copied into blogger to publish. Probably not the best plan :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Using Word for a Blogger post isn't that bad. Please, just don't use any word processor of the Word level to create the HTML for Web pages. My sense is that the code from them isn't clean enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      I, in my learning stage, am not sure what you mean here? I would just use word to work offline and then copy and paste into the browser. Would this not be as clean as typing straight into the browser? Or are you referring to some sort of word feature that I am unaware of (and should probably stay so)?

      Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Copying from Word and pasting into Blogger works well most of the time. It is routine copy-and-paste of text.

      My reference is to the work of actually creating a Web page using html tags, etc. Writing the html code by hand is good practice, but many people use another way to do it. Some use programs that are very much like word processors. Some of these tools, like Kompozer do a good job of creating the tags you need. Word doesn't do the job as well, in my opinion. It adds extra, unnecessary information to make the code produce "Word" styled html instead of easy-to-read-and-modify html code.

      Delete
    3. Gotcha! I didn't even know that Word could do that. I shall put that in the 'things I know but don't use' bucket.

      Thanks for the tips!

      Delete
  5. Hi! Came here from the Webcraft.
    Good luck for your Kilimanjaro and to your webcrafting.

    Barbosabyte

    P,S.: I know a school of witchraft (free) and one of wizardry (paid) online, but you won't learn how to turn people into newts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Newts I'm not so keen on ... learning how to transport myself to sunnier places - now that's something I'd like to learn (or flying for that matter)
      ;)

      Delete
  6. I wouldn't mind a school of witchcraft either. It would be convenient to be able to clone myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, visiting fellow School of Webcraft participants as part of a Webmaking 101 challenge.

    Good luck training for you Killimanjaro trip. I hope you have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey! Great first post! I've just started the School of Webcraft as well and I am very excited to see where this will take us!

    If you have time, check out my blog I made to track my progress here, and if you like it, please click the follow button on the right!

    Many thanks,
    Alex

    p.s. good luck on your Kilimanjaro trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Followed :) I'm interesting to read what you have to say about editing programs. I installed Vim and am going a bit cross-eyed!

      Delete
    2. Vim is an editor that has one main advantage. It is commonly installed on GNU/Linux servers where your Web pages also exist. If you have direct access to the server with a shell (SSH) account, you can therefore directly edit the file to make updates. You'll also need some sense of Linux at the command line. This can help if the server doesn't have file transfer protocol (FTP) set up (though most hosting servers do have it). Vim is not so friendly as the text programs like Kate (from KDE) or Notepad++ for Windows. Those editors have highlighting, code completion, etc.

      Learning Vim can pay some benefits, though, even if you don't use it day-to-day.

      Delete
  9. Hello, I saw your link on the P2PU page. I like your setup and your writing style is great!

    It seems like you have a lot of goals you want to accomplish, I wish you success and good luck on your trip :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Ditto to you for whatever goals lead you to the P2PU page!

      Delete
  10. Hi, I'm from Webcraft page too and I just wanted to greet you and wish you good luck.
    > if anyone knows a great School of Witchcraft either online or in the Ottawa area I would probably be interested in that too!
    err... like pottermore.com?
    OK, OK, it's actually far from great. But maybe a new generation of web developers will make a better one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) While pottermore.com is cool I just don't think they are going to teach me telekinesis ;)

      Delete
  11. Nice blog! I like the running theme about running ;) I'm hamabeboi, fellow member of the School Webcraft community. Greetings! I just started my blog, you can take a look if you'd like: http://hamabeboi.wordpress.com/ Cheers!

    ReplyDelete